City Projects involves the planning, design and implementation of public infrastructure such as Town Centres, open space, community buildings and public domain features in accordance with the Bayside City Plan. These are the current major projects being undertaken:
Scarborough Park Central Irrigation Upgrade
Council has appointed Hawkesbury Valley Irrigation Pty Ltd to undertake the construction of an automatic irrigation system at Scarborough Park Central, Monterey.
Construction work will commence in October 2021 and is scheduled to be completed in the last week of January 2022, weather permitting.
The project consists of the upgrade of the existing irrigation to an automatic system for the entire field and construction of the associated pump house and tank infrastructure near the existing amenities block closest to Barton Street.
Whilst the construction works are being undertaken there will be reduced access to parts of Scarborough Park Central at various stages during the works and there is a potential for construction noise during the hours of 7am to 6:30pm, Monday to Friday. Mitigation measures will be in place during construction to reduce the impact of construction as per the Environmental Assessment undertaken.
Arncliffe Lookout Cliff Treatment Works
Council has awarded PAN Civil Pty Ltd the contract for the installation of a rockfall safety fence and mechanical stabilisation treatments around and above the cliff-face of Arncliffe Lookout. This is the final stage of works to further reduce the potential risk of rock falls.
Works are programmed to commence in October through to December, weather permitting. During the work, cranes will be operating in the reserve and will gain access through the easement at 14 Gipps Street. Other mobile equipment will be in use in Pindari Place and in Nayla Close. There will be noise from drilling equipment, handheld power tools, and plant.
During works access to the park will be limited. Please avoid using the reserve while works are in progress.
Riverine Playing Fields Irrigation and Turfing
Council has appointed Green Options Pty Ltd to undertake the upgrade of two existing turf fields at Riverine Park.
The Riverine playing fields renovation works includes;
- two playing fields renovated to a premium playing field standard;
- installation of an automatic irrigation system along with a new storage tank and pump station.
Construction commences in September 2021 and is anticipated to be completed in February 2022, weather permitting.
Bonar Street Drainage Upgrade Stage 2
Council has appointed Mack Civil Pty Ltd to undertake stage 2 works of the Bonar Street drainage project.
The Bonar Street Drainage Stage 2 works include;
- A 3.6m wide culvert in the centre of the road between Hirst Street and Bidjigal Road (length 70m) connecting to the existing culvert;
- A 1.8m wide culvert in the centre of the road between Knoll Avenue and Bidjigal Road (length 90m) connecting to the existing culvert;
- Required associated service relocation works including sewer, watermain, electrical, gas and communications; and
- Road, footpath and parking improvement works.
Construction commences in November 2021 and is anticipated to be completed in April 2022, weather permitting.
Hensley Synthetic Field Replacement
Council has appointed Turf One Pty Ltd to undertake the replacement of the existing synthetic field at Hensley, Eastgardens. The current synthetic field will be replaced with a FIFA approved synthetic surface system to achieve FIFA certification.
Construction commences in January 2022 and is anticipated to be completed in April 2022, weather permitting.
M6 stage 1
Transport for NSW are building a tunnel between President Avenue in Kogerah and the M8 Motorway in Arncliffe.
Visit the M6 project page for more information.
Bexley Town Centre Public Domain Improvements
Council on 14 April 2021 approved the tender for Bexley Town Centre public domain improvements.
Mack Civil Pty Ltd has been appointed by Council to construct the public domain improvements in Bexley Town Centre. Construction commenced in June 2021 and is anticipated to be completed in October 2021, weather permitting. Access to parts of the footpath will be restricted with temporary construction fencing and paths. Access to businesses will be maintained.
The public domain improvements will enhance the appearance of the town centre through new pavements, street furniture and landscaping and improve pedestrian safety and amenity. The scope of works includes the following;
- New feature paving consisting of high quality pavers in the main business area
- Footpath level kerbside shrub plantings to increase green canopy coverage, provide shade and visual relief and reduce the heat island effect
- New street trees in the main street and side streets
- New street furniture and upgrade of existing kerb ramps
- Safety barrier fencing at intersections
- Albyn Street carpark re-surfacing, improved circulation and line marking
Rockdale Administration Building HVAC & Roof Replacement
Patterson Building Group Pty Ltd has been appointed to undertake essential HVAC and roof works at the Rockdale Administration Building at 2 Bryant Street, Rockdale.
Works will commence on Wednesday 16 June 2021 and will be completed in October 2021.
The majority of the works will be inside the building and should have little impact on residents. Council have minimised the extent of works to the exterior of the building. Noise and vibration from these construction activities are expected to be minimal.
The works include the removal and replacement of the existing roof sheeting and the erection of a roof mounted platform to accommodate new air conditioning plant. Some redundant plant and communication towers will be decommissioned and removed.
To undertake the works, crane lifts will be essential. On these occasions a mobile crane will be set up in the Council carpark between 5am and 10am with traffic control in place to maintain safety and traffic flow to the carpark and neighbouring streets.
Kyeemagh Community Centre Roof Works
Council has appointed VBuilt Construction Pty Ltd to undertake the Kyeemagh Community Centre roof works.
The metal roof cover to the Kyeemagh Community Centre is deteriorated and in poor condition. Water damage has occurred, and renewal of the roof is required to make the Kyeemagh Community Centre water tight. Works include, but are not limited to the following;
- Removal of any ACM material affected by the roof works;
- Removal of redundant services, plant, ductwork, conduits from the roof;
- Replacement of roof sheeting and roof drainage system;
- Design and installation of new roof access safety system;
- Replacement of 3 x PV cells; and
- Mechanical works include: kitchen exhaust, bathroom exhaust, and air conditioning.
Works will commence in June 2021 and will be completed in July 2021, weather permitting.
Brighton Le Sands Boardwalk Remediation and Maintenance
Council has engaged Cooper Commercial Constructions Pty Ltd to carry out maintenance work to the boardwalk parallel to the beach at Brighton Le Sands.
The work includes the following;
- Supply and replacement of various timber members, including deck planks;
- Clearance of trapped sand from beneath the boardwalk structure; and
- Miscellaneous works including sealing of counter-sunk holes, and replacement of missing fixtures.
Works will commence mid-May 2021 and will be completed by November 2021.
Botany Aquatic Centre Upgrade
Council resolved on 8 April 2020 to engage the consultancy services of CO-OP Studio and a team of specialist consultants to undertake the design and documentation for the Botany Aquatic Centre. CO-OP studio put forward a team of consultants with considerable combined experience in the sport and recreation sector. CO-OP has a wealth of experience and a proven track record in the design and delivery of Aquatic facilities.
The engagement of CO-OP is a major step forward in making the redevelopment of the Botany Aquatic Centre a reality.
Council at its Meeting of 14 October 2020 resolved;
- That funding for the total value of the Botany Aquatic Centre project be realised and available for Council to allocate prior to moving to detailed design and documentation except for the family friendly, adventure water play facilities which will be funding by Sydney Airport;
- That Council proceeds to design, documentation, and tender for the Sydney Airport funded adventure water play component of the Botany Aquatic Centre project.
The Sport & Recreation Committee in February 2021 resolved to future proof the facility by including new plant and equipment for the 50m and Learn to Swim pool in the construction of the adventure play and water slides project to ensure the filtration systems are separated.
CO-OP Studio who were engaged to undertake the documentation have prepared 3D montage images (see below) of the adventure water play and water slides and we have lodged the Development Application and notified the Community Reference Group.
3D Montage Images
Design and Construction of a Synthetic Playing Field at Gardiner Park, Banksia
Council has engaged Polytan Pacific Pty Ltd for the design and construction of a synthetic playing field at Gardiner Park, Banksia.
Construction commences on 18 November 2020 and is anticipated to be completed in May 2021, weather permitting.
The scope of works includes:
- Site establishment;
- Protection of trees and heritage elements;
- Installation of a new irrigation system for the secondary field;
- Installation of a new perimeter fence around the synthetic field;
- Drainage works including installation of synthetic field drainage; and
- Installation of a FIFA Certified synthetic playing surface including all associated works and materials including perimeter paths, fencing, goals, corner posts coaches boxes and line marking.
Wetlands Water Quality Improvement Works Coolibah Reserve, Bardwell Valley
On 8 July 2020, Council approved the tender for the wetlands water quality improvement works at Coolibah Reserve, Bardwell Valley.
Land and Marine Ocean Engineering Pty Ltd has been appointed by Council for the wetlands water quality improvement works. The works consists of three milestones. Construction commenced late 2020 and Milestone 1 works is scheduled to complete in Spring 2021, weather permitting.
The scope of works includes:
- diversion of base flows into wetland upstream of existing concrete weir on Bardwell Creek;
- removal of sediment in backwatered lagoon;
- creation of vegetated wetland to treat base flows and remove nutrients;
- removal of weeds and vegetation on earth bund;
- protection works for concrete weir-creek crossing apron;
- construction of bank retaining structure;
- landscape features to provide landscape amenity; and
- commissioning, establishment and maintenance of the civil, landscaping and planting works
Arncliffe Town Centre
Council on 8 July 2020 approved the tender for Arncliffe Town Centre public domain improvements.
Sydney Civil Pty Ltd has been appointed by Council to construct the public domain improvements in Arncliffe Town Centre. Construction commences in August 2020 and is anticipated to be completed in March 2021, weather permitting. Access to parts of the footpath will be restricted with temporary construction fencing and paths. Access to businesses will be maintained.
The public domain improvements will enhance the appearance of the town centre through new pavements, street furniture and landscaping and improve pedestrian safety and amenity. The scope of works includes the following:
- New feature paving consisting of high quality pavers in the business precinct
- Kerb realignments in certain areas to provide a safer environment for the community
- A feature outdoor pedestrian seating area on Firth Street between Queen Street and Belmore Street
- Planted road islands to increase green canopy coverage, provide shade and reduce the heat island effect
- New street furniture, landscaping and street trees throughout
- A new pedestrian crossing at the end of Queen Street with new compliant street lighting
- Upgrade of existing pedestrian crossings also with new compliant street lighting
- Renewed line marking and marking of parking bays
- Improvements to the 2 small parks in Belmore and Firth Streets
Council on 8 April 2020 approved the tender for the remediation of the Brighton Baths Building.
Mainserve Australia Pty Ltd has been appointed by Council for the remediation of the Brighton Baths Building. Construction commences in April 2020 and is anticipated to be completed summer 2021, weather permitting.
The building is in a prominent location and the project will improve access into the building, ensure the building is compliant with current Australian Standards and provide aesthetic upgrades and maintenance.
The scope of works includes but are not limited to the following:
- Structural remediation works to the building;
- Repairs to the marine rescue and athletics club;
- Painting and repairing the walls of the entire building;
- Waterproofing and installation of new pavers to the two terraces;
- New tactile indicators and stair treads;
- Installation of new balustrading to the two terraces to ensure compliance;
- Refurbishment of 5 internal platform lifts to improve access into restaurants and cafes; and
- General building maintenance and repairs.
L'Estrange Sporting Amenities Upgrade
Council on 9 September 2020 approved the tender for the upgrade of the L’Estrange Sporting Amenities.
Cooper Commercial Constructions has been appointed by Council for the upgrade works of the L’Estrange Sporting Amenities. Construction commenced late 2020 and will be completed in Spring 2021.
The project aims to provide improved facilities for the community and sporting clubs and will include:
- 5 unisex toilets and 1 ambulant toilet;
- 1 accessible toilet with baby change facilities;
- External hand wash, bubbler and water fill station;
- 2 change rooms with showers and toilets;
- 1 referee room;
- 1 sports club meeting room;
- 1 canteen;
- 2 storage rooms;
- External field storage; and
- Water tank (for toilet flushing).